Erotic depictions of women in drawing, painting, sculpture and photography from the dawn of man to the present.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Redheaded Venus 15: Absinthe Robette




We haven't had a redheaded Venus as such for some time, so here is a striking poster by the Belgain artist Henri Privat-Livemont (1861–1936).  He began his studies at the School of Decorative Arts in Brussels but in 1883 won a scholarship to study art in Paris.  He worked at the studios of Lemaire, Lavastre & Duvignaud and, with Lemaire, helped create the interior decor of the Hotel de Ville and the Theatre Francais.  In 1889 he returned to Brussels and for the next decade produced a series of posters, in a somewhat Mucha-esque style, such as this one, which was published in 1896.


Bar of the Inter-Continental Montreal


Triple P has quite a lot of experience of Absinthe; in Prague and memorably at the St Regis, Washington DC when they served it, for a brief period, where we ended up in a slightly embarrassing situation with one of my lady friend's mother (it certainly made her heart grow fonder).  It was also served properly in the Inter-Continental in Montreal where I had it with my particular friend S from Vancouver (it made all of her parts grow fonder).

5 comments:

  1. Haha! Sounds like Absinthe has served to create some stories for you! I've only had it once, in New Orleans. Can't say I was too fond of its taste, although it did start off a very fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not sure I am that fond of the taste either but it's effect, even in the neutered form on sale today, is pretty powerful!

      Delete
  2. Tastes best providing the herbt undertow in a Sazerac, fill tumbler with ice, rinse with a shot of absinthe, add Peychaud's bitters and Rye or Brandy... Other embellishments are available

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not interested in Absynthe but the poster is awesome! I got a print of this one in Paris and I love it. Found the poster for real cheap in Amazon and I'm ordering it now. Thank you 3P!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At a rather fine steakhouse on the waterfront in San Francisco, I asked for a glass of Ricard pastis to finish off my meal after dessert only to be offered what was claimed to be an acceptable substitute, Herbsaint.

    Well, I can cross that off my bucket list and the waiter was quite offended when I suggested the best use of their entire stock would be as toilet bowl cleaner. As for the taste, the best I can do is to echo the words of the immortal Montgomery Scoot when he declared "It's green"

    ReplyDelete